The novel that could have been.

Today, I'll tell you a story about a story. My last job was quite uninspiring and unfocussed. It left me with a lot of free time on my hand and a lot of unfulfilled ambition as well. No, my ambition had nothing to do with the corporate world. It had little to do with power and positions. What I wanted was to rework my post-graduation project - a novel I had finished in merely 21 days.

I couldn't possibly risk my bosses peering over my shoulder while I typed away on my office computer. No, I had to find a place and a medium where I could write in private - unobserved and unhindered. Back then, I owned a heavy Toshiba laptop with limited battery life. On one occasion, I managed to lug it to office and from there to my favourite cafe at High Street Phoenix - Dolce Vita. I ordered a beer and set to work on my unwieldy laptop. Alas, the battery began to run out in less than an hour. Just when I was getting into a particularly interesting scene in my story, it was time to stop. What's more, the stress of making sure I had it properly packed made me forget my USB wi-fi enabler at my table itself (I only recalled this omission later - so there was no way to get it back). In the coming days, I lost my pace further and the book remained unfinished for a simple reason - I couldn't find the right technology to write it.

Cut to June 2014. I encountered Indiblogger's new update on the ASUS Transformer Book T100. What interested me was that it came with a detachable tablet. Also, the word 'ultraportable' caught my eye. The truth is, most laptops are as unportable as desktop computers thanks to weight and battery issues. But this one promised to be better than that. I clicked on the link that took me to the product page - http://asusindia.co.in/T100/.


The first thing that caught my eye was the limited period offer - 'Buy an ASUS Transformer Book T100 and get a data 16 GB Micro SD class 10 card free'. 'That's just a gimmick to get people interested', I thought inwardly with my customary cynicism for marketing spiels. But then, I happened to watch the product video that unfolded and I found that literally every feature of the ASUS Transformer Book T100 was designed to keep me hooked even while on the move. Take a look:


Stylish and soft touch coating makes it comfortable to hold: No more grazing my fingers or finding it uncomfortable while the laptop rests on my lap during long journeys on the bus or train!

Switch instantly from an ultraportable laptop to a highly mobile tablet: So once I’ve finished writing a chapter and want to take a break from writing, I can just switch to the tablet and browse through my favourite shopping sites or play some games while playing some groovy music.

Intel quad-core processor: One of the things that deters me from using technology while on the move is the speed. With combined devices, often the speed is compromised but the ASUS Transformer Book T100 promises not to disappoint!

1366x768 display for sharp, vibrant images: What is technology worth if you cannot capture an image of something that touches a chord and then share it instantly with the world at large? And with the ASUS Transformer Book T100, I’d be able to see pictures on Facebook and Flickr in the best quality possible.

Windows 8.1 with Microsoft Office 2013: What else does a writer need? Truth be told, most often, it’s work that keeps me hooked to technology while on the move. And with this super laptop cum tablet, I’ll have no worries about getting work done!



11 hours battery life when web browsing: The need to check on my latest purchases, connecting with friends on social media, sharing articles, reading my favourite ebooks, listening to online radio – all of this keeps me hooked to technology. But with my old laptop, I could do none of it on the move because the battery ran out in less than an hour when unplugged! The ASUS Transformer Book T100 is the perfect solution.

Mobile dock with 19mm travel keys for comfortable typing: No more typing the wrong word when the train jolts or someone pushes past me. Now I can be assured of minimal re-edits with the novel that remains unfinished!

USB 3.0 superspeed port: So I’m with a friend in the park and we’re transferring images from her pendrive to my laptop. Alas, it takes ages to do it and before we’re done, my laptop runs out of power. This picture could look quite different with the the ASUS Transformer Book T100!

Dedicated reading mode: I can say goodbye to aching eyes while I read ebooks on pale light, which hardly matches the experience of reading a real book in well-lit surroundings. And wait, now with the ASUS Transformer Book T100, I won’t have to save to buy a Kindle any more!

Still not convinced? Watch the video for yourself here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7NgPvQZr7A

 


Having read and heard so much about this seemingly wonderful product, I was aching to hold it and see what it felt like. Luckily, the rotate button on the website http://asusindia.co.in/T100/ allowed me to gain a 360-degree view of the laptop cum tablet. I liked the stylish steel gray colour and the slimness of the device. Here is what it looks like from the back:



The fact that the device comes with 32GB storage would also keep me hooked while on the move. After all, there are movies to be watched, songs to be heard and books to be read! And research material for my novel occupies its own sweet space too. Frankly, by now, it had begun to feel as though it might be time to reopen the folder that housed the chapters I had been reworking on. The device runs on a 2GB ram, which is faster than most phones and tablets. So I could run multiple programs on it without having the computer slow down. A 1.2 megapixel camera ensures that if I’ve forgotten my phone at home, I can still record the important moments of my life while on the move. And I forgot to mention the best thing. The ASUS Transformer Book T100 is priced at just 32,999 rupees! I know, it’s quite unbelievable. That’s less than the price of several high-end phones! And here you don’t just get a product. You get a whole new incredibly transformed lifestyle. Still don’t get why I’m so wowed with the ASUS Transformer Book T100? Watch this: (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVFlmlj51Ok)


I can totally imagine being one of the jet-setting folks in the video. Think about it – this tablet weights just 550 grams! It’s going to feel really, really light – for lack of an appropriate simile! The video says – stop for nothing. I wish ASUS had told me that back in 2013 when I was trying to complete that novel! But maybe just maybe, if I can get my hands on it, that novel will see the light of day after all. As a parting thanks for reading this post, I’ll leave you with yet another wonderful video of the incredible ASUS Transformer Book T100 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM1KH3R1IMs)


P.S.: You can find more videos and dope on this product at www.facebook.com/ASUSIndia. This post is a part of the Indiblogger ' Time to Transform!’ contest (http://www.indiblogger.in/topic.php?topic=109). What keeps you hooked on to technology even when you're on the move? Is it playing your favourite games, talking to friends, catching up on some work you love doing? Write a blog post on the things that you think will keep you hooked to a "Transformed" T100 when you're on the move. The most creative and original posts win exciting prizes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment